At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

NOW WHAT, PT. 1


Just in case you're thinking I've been floating in an inner tube since graduation, here's what I've been up to:

1. Scheduling per diem work in Salinas for July-August. This boils down to temporary doctoring to cover for other physician's vacations, maternity leave, etc. etc. There are several clinics in this area who have snapped up my relatively free time and I've been juggling their collective needs (and mine) to come up with a reasonable schedule. Never mind that I have to attend three different clinics per week, just as long as I'm not scheduled for three different places on the same day....

2. Budgeting, budgeting, budgeting. My car needed a 90,000 mile service recently, and Shroom's teeth never did get cleaned (got derailed by thyroid and asthma concerns)....Oh, and my student loans have gone into repayment, and now that I am technically unemployed I have to pay for my own health and disability insurance....Anyway, I'm trying to get my outgo to be less than my income, which is about as much fun as it sounds.

3. Reviewing halfheartedly for the Family Practice Boards. Every specialty has its board exam, and I'm due to take mine this Saturday in San Jose. Many people take a review course, but I've been economizing because of #2 and have been doing it on my own. My shortcomings include rheumatology, endocrinology, biostatistics, travel medicine, and various esoterica relating to the rules and regulations of vaccine administration. Two days left before test day? No problem! :-P~~~~~

4. Getting committed to the move to Humboldt County, specifically to a "real" job, specifically to this clinic. Almost a done deal, although no contract has been generated yet. I don't want to start a "real" job until January, which is why I'm working a lot this summer so I can get three months off in the fall. Why the fall? Let me count the ways: SOAR, Rhinebeck, visiting my buddy Clara....

5. In order to feel committed to #4, I needed to find a place to live in Humboldt, specifically a rental (not ready to buy yet--see #2). Now, in addition to the difficulties of searching for a rental long-distance, there is also the problem of finding a landlord who will accept my pets. You might think I just have two cats, but don't forget the other two felines and one beleagered canine who live with DSO....That makes five animals, a scenario that makes most landlords run for cover. Yet St. Francis has been smiling on me and found me a house to rent in McKinleyville, which is mine for a handsome rental deposit (see #2, again). I should get the lease firmed up next week, fingers crossed.

6. Now that #5 has just about been settled, I am preparing myself psychologically for The Move. I hate moving, absolutely detest it. Every moving day of my life has been highlighted by a major tension headache and general prostration. (Note to self: don't pack the Excedrin in the first box loaded into the truck. Think about it.) This time, I'm hiring movers but I can't bear the thought of anyone else packing my stuff, so I'm going to do that myself. I loathe packing. One of the things I loathe most about it is the idea of spending money on packing boxes (see #2, again), so part of the psychological preparation is looking for empty boxes in clinic corridors, outside stores, etc. Everywhere I go, I'm looking for boxes. I scored two at clinic today, woo-hooooooo!

More about good old #4, the new job, in my next post. Cheers!

Home