At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, March 15, 2004

THE PRICE OF WORK


Our local newspaper carried a sobering report in yesterday's Sunday edition. (The full text of the article will be online for the next seven days.) The article reports that itinerant Mexican workers have a much higher death rate from on-the-job injuries than other workers performing the same jobs. There are no good statistics on the number of injuries these workers sustain compared to their non-Mexican counterparts, although I can report a steady number of work-related lacerations, fractures and amputations I've seen in patients as they've streamed through our Emergency Room.

These workers pick our produce, build our shopping malls, slop out our dairy plants and butcher our meat, and they have come from Mexico to work in every region of the United States. Ask yourself: How am I touched by their work?

Home