At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, February 29, 2004

SO, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO LEAP OVER?


It's been a bad month from a veterinary standpoint. As you know, Shroom was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, which necessitated a 30-mile trip to a specialty vet. After we returned home, Shroom developed labored breathing and had to go back to our local vet, where she was given yet another diagnosis--of asthma. She was having an acute attack, probably due to some unfamiliar allergen at the specialty vet's office. So now Shroom is on two different kinds of medications, including a systemic corticosteroid which has been making her cranky. She will start on a daily steroid inhaler after I've received the feline aerochamber attachment to use with the inhaler unit. All this, and she's still going to the oncology center to begin treatment TOMORROW, and won't be home for 10-14 days.

Just think, only a short month ago, she was a perfectly content, albeit chubby, eight-and-a-half year old cat. One check up at the vet, and now she's an obese, asthmatic, hyperthyroid furball. I'm beginning to understand why people hate going to see the doctor.

As for me, I am a nervous wreck. This is the inevitable consequence of spending half my time driving a yowling Shroom back and forth to various vet offices. The fact that I'm not going to see her for almost TWO WEEKS while she recovers from radiation adds an element of grief to the general atomosphere of chaos and anxiety.

So, what does a worried cat-mom do to calm her jangled nerves? Knit like a banshee, of course:



Here's a vest knit from handpainted bulky yarn from Chasing Rainbows Dyeworks. I churned the whole thing out in two days, making the pattern up as I went. I'll admit a grudging appreciation for bulky yarns after finishing this vest, although seaming the pieces together was tiresome, and I didn't account for the big stitches enough when making up the armhole shaping--hence the very square shoulders. Doesn't matter, the vest looks okay on, and will keep me warm under my hospital smock.

(Did I mention? I'm starting another two weeks of Night Float tomorrow....)

Home