At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, February 22, 2004

THE FRUITS OF MY LABORS


I didn't take any photos of Stitches this year--if I had, they would have shown the massive crowds that mobbed the Oakland Convention Center, all queued up to enter the Market. The vendors booths could barely be seen through the masses (N.B. the wheeled duffel bag was a popular accessory among the die-hard shoppers this year), and anyway I had my nose deep in this:



This is a mini-Aran sweater I knit during Beth Brown-Reinsel's class. It was knit circularly from the hem to the armhole, then back and forth to the neckline. Here's the back:



As you can see, this mini-sampler was designed to teach a number of new skills. There are a number of different cables, crossed stitches and bobbles. The sleeves are different--one is dropped, and the other set-in, but both were knit circularly and saddled between front and back. Here's a close-up of one of the saddles. Learning to attach the live sleeve stitches to picked-up stitches on the armhole, then knitting on the saddles, was a bit tricky but a lot of fun. I heartily recommend taking one of Beth Brown-Reinsel's classes if you ever have the opportunity. Here written materials are superb (error-free!) and teaching style well-organized. She's also very patient. People learn in different ways, and I notice that many students rely heavily upon the teacher's instructions and demonstrations. Me, I like to see techniques demonstrated--once. Then I like to dither and experiment and make millions of mistakes until I have a "eureka" moment. I don't think I'd have the patience to go over the same questions over and over again, the way a good teacher does.

As for my Market loot, I didn't stick to my no-commercial yarn plan (surprise, surprise). I got some marvelous superbulky handpainted singles from Chasing Rainbows, three hat kits from Bonkers and a slew of dye books. Ah well, the best laid plans....

Home