At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Thursday, January 15, 2004

WHAT I'VE BEEN UP TO


A lot of stuff I haven't felt compelled to write about:

1. Chief Resident Stuff: BAMs, putting out small fires of discontent, pouring fuel on fires burning under important problems, covering for other resident's vacations, interviewing prospective residents, worrying a lot.

2. Regular Resident Stuff: slogging through an uninspiring rotation, reviewing my performance on a recent inservice exam, realizing that there is so much I DON'T know, worrying about the future.

3. Personal Finance: reviewing my budget, setting down financial goals, calculating how much I'd like to earn in order to achieve goals, worrying that I'll never earn enough to achieve goals. Cutting coupons.

4. Moonlighting: working at an urgent care clinic a few evenings and weekends a month, seeing interesting patients and earning a real professional fee (finally).

5. Cat Wrangling: realizing that both my big girls weigh too much, worrying that they'll get diabetes and need insulin if they don't lose weight, gradually scaling back their daily food portions, putting up with Shroom's complaints about the reduction. Scheduled Shroom for a general exam and dental cleaning.

And doing something I DO want to write about--experimenting with fiber blends on the drum carder:



These are swatches knit from handspun yarns I made from wool/silk and wool/alpaca/silk blends. The silk is naturally dyed in indigo, osage orange, cochineal, brazilwood, and logwood. It's amazing to see how well the colors of naturally-dyed fibers coordinate with the natural colors of the wool and alpaca. I love the way the colors pop out against a lush background of brown or black. The latest swatch is the heathery grey one on the left, which is a base of silvery shetland with streaks of cochineal pink, indigo blue, logwood lavendar and indigo-over-osage green.

Between worrying and carding fiber (which is pure pleasure, I'm happy to say), I haven't had much time or inclination to blog. Hopefully I'll snap out of this worrywart mode I'm in, and get back to the pleasanter distractions of spinning and knitting.

Home