At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Friday, December 05, 2003

HOLIDAY PARTY UPDATE


Okay, so far we've got

14 residents
4 significant others of residents
6 applicants
6 medical students
5 faculty members

coming to the party. There will be relatively few children in attendance, after all that worry over the pinata. Last year, we had NINE infants/toddlers/grade school-aged children among the former third-year residents alone. Every little get-together was like an episode of Romper Room. I think I was planning for that kind of gathering, but upon further reflection, I realized we are now left with only a couple of babes in arms, one 5 year-old and an assortment of disaffected preadolescents this year. So no pinata, and maybe the Simpson's Christmas special on the DVD.

The dinner menu has been chosen:

Cheese enchiladas
Chicken fajitas
Chile verde
Rice and beans
Tortillas
Green salad
Chips and salsa/guacamole

I'm trying to decide what to have for dessert--flan versus churros (fried dough).

There will be iced tea, soft drinks and water (obviously) to drink. The Residency can't pay for booze on their account, so the restaurant is going to bill drinks on a separate tab. I may have several drinks before the guests arrive.

Everyone is quite enthusiastic about this little bun fight. I'm hoping it will help keep the morale up. At first, I was worrying over the budget--$20/head adds up pretty fast--and then I said to hell with it. Nothing worse than cheaping out on the holiday party. The residency director agrees. He's going to squeeze the necessary money out of the faculty fund when the residency fund runs short. I offered him my overtime for working all three November holidays, but he refused. What a guy.

Tomorrow: Party favors.


Home