At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, November 10, 2003

THE RE-ENTRY BLAHS


I knew returning to work would be hard. I mean, one day I'm merrily spinning away and dreaming of great fiber adventures ahead, and the next day I'm back at work and nothing has changed. The place is a zoo. Within ONE HOUR of my return I rounded on five postpartum women, delivered a baby and administered spinal analgesia. And, no, I was not on call at the time.

Plus, I'd forgotten how much work interferes with one's fiber time. Bloody inconvenient, if you ask me. I've been spinning a bit here and there, in the process rediscovering the joys of the wheels and spindles that didn't join me on my trip to SOAR. Mostly, however, I've been knitting feverishly on a lace scarf that is one of THREE that must be done by the end of the month so I can give them as gifts to some of the nicest L&D nurses I've ever known. They're from Mississippi and have been working at our hospitals through a nursing agency. Since our hospital is facing financial cutbacks, the "traveling nurses" may not be returning to us--although they have sworn to come back for our graduation ceremony in June. Photos to come, this weekend.

(Which reminds me, I have to find a job! Apparently, after postponing "real life" for so many years in favor of silly little diversions such as Med School, I am actually going to leap over the last professional hurdle and become a Real Family Doc. Keep an eye on your local want ads for me, willya?)


Home