|At the Still Point of the Turning World|
Tuesday, November 04, 2003
HOW TO RETURN HOME FROM SOAR
1. Endure multiple inconveniences at both the airport of departure and the airport of arrival. Vow never to travel with mother AND disabled stepfather AND white Pekingnese AND seven pieces of luggage ever again.
2. Receive all checked-in luggage uneventfully. Amazing!
3. Sleep for approximately 12 hours.
4. Lunch with parents, who are equally amazed to be home.
5. Obtain several stir-fried shrimp at lunch to mollify Beloved Cats at home.
6. Drive back to Salinas, suddenly remembering all of the Total Hairballs awaiting one's return at work.
7. Stagger upstairs with five pieces of luggage.
8. Enjoy rapturous reunion with Beloved Cats.
9. Clean up after the misdeeds of Beloved Cats.
10. Explain one's absence to Beloved Cats.
11. Attempt to unpack. Fine oneself hindered by Beloved Cat:
12. Opt not to unpack, after all. Opt to sit around like a vegetable with Beloved Cat on lap.