At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Friday, October 10, 2003

CLOSE, VERY CLOSE




Here's the almost-finished SOAR 2003 project, affectionately nicknamed The Vivid and Continuous Dream Cardigan, after the late John Gardner's discussion of great fiction. I wanted a boxy cardi with color blocks knit from these skeins, and that's what I got. The sweater is knit sleeve to sleeve, which is strangely satisfiying; at the end, you fold it in half and it looks damn-all like a real sweater. Yes, there are side and sleeve seams to sew (pinned and spritzed in this photo, awaiting The Needle), but no shoulders and--in this case--no front bands and no collar, because I knit the seed stitch borders as I went along. Vivid, because of the colors, and continuous, because there the entire sweater literally unfolded in my lap as I knitted.

As you can see, there are approximately 5,000 ends for me to weave in, from all the color changes as I switched from skein to skein. Probably the most painful part of the whole project, but I'm not complaining, since everything else went so well.

Home