At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, July 20, 2003

WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING INSTEAD OF GETTING TANKED


Seems like everyone in the knit blog world is knitting summer tank tops. I can understand their appeal--quick to knit and not requiring much yarn. But you won't find me posting photos of my latest tank-in-progress. Why?

Reason #1: I live near the coastline, where the weather is mellow.
Reason #2: Tank tops violate the hospital dress code.
Reason #3: I have upper-arm flaps--you know what I mean!
Reason #4: Too much hair removal involved in the wearing.
Reason #5: I never met a tank top I liked.

So what have I been up to? Learniing the long draw:



Here's about 1.5lbs of the Jehovah Jireh Farm rovings, all spun bulky-weight using a long draw. This is a major spinning breakthrough for me; being a control freak, I have always spun everything using a short draw. I liked the firm grip above the drafting zone. But I was determined to make soft, lofty yarn--and voila! Another plus is that the spinning goes so FAST--all this yarn, plus a few skeins drying as I write, were whipped out in the past two weeks.

(And, despite the arm flaps, I am a fabulous beautiful woman, thank you very much!)

Home