At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Tuesday, June 24, 2003

SOME RECENT PRAYERS


I've never been a churchgoer, but I believe I'm guided by a divine presence.

God, please don't let me do anything stupid tonight.

...

I'm tired and cranky again. Don't let me snap at anyone over the phone.

...

Why is the night so long?

...

God, they've overbooked me again. Please tell some of my patients to stay home.

...

This boy is only seven years old, God. It would be a great thing if you could save his life.

...

The boy is dead. I don't understand it, but may he be released from suffering.

...

Thank you for this meal, and for this time to sit down and eat it, and for the teeth to chew it.

...

I know I've got a few decades to go before I'm a wise old woman, but could I please have a little advance on all that wisdom?

...

I'm doing the best I can. It just doesn't look like it.

...

Thank you for my wonderful cats. Thank you for protecting their health, and may they be happy and content, even when I'm not.

...

Why is it that I drop my pager all the time, but it never breaks?

...

Hey God, I'm sorry I'm always whining about what I want and what I don't want. I wish I didn't wish for so much.

...

This doctoring thing...was that your idea or mine?

...

Thank you for getting me through last night. Thank you for keeping just about everyone alive. Thank you for getting me back home safely. Most of all, thank you for the fact that I'm going to bed right now. Could you ask Shroom and Zafu to settle down, though?

...

Once again, I have no idea what I'm doing.
So, if you don't mind...
I'll drive--
You steer.


Home