At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, June 01, 2003

JUST UNDER THE WIRE


In an effort to switch my day-night cycles, I stayed up last night and knit, knit, knit. (Don't worry, Mom, I took a nap int he afternoon). Before I go to bed at 10am (gack!), I'll show you the fruits of my labor.

Presenting...Alka!



This is Stahman's Alka in her pre-blocked state. You can't see the tulip lace motif well in this photo, but I'll try to get a better photo up on the Alka project page--once I write it up.

Obi-Wan Ke-FINISHED!

And here's the Obi, adapted from Simply Knit, knit from my handspun yarn:



Here's another photo of Obi, laid out flat so you can see how W-I-D-E it is. The back measures 54" and each front 38". Most of last night was dedicated to knitting the front bands in 1x1 rib, and seaming it to the fronts and back neck. Only the threat of losing this project to the Great Black Hole of Night Float kept me going.

This is the first sweater I've ever made from handspun, so forgive me for gushing a bit. It's so-o-o comfy to wear, like an afghan with sleeves. The front rides up a bit higher than the back, because there's no armhole/neck shaping, just a bunch of rectangles seamed together. Overall, an organic, unconstructed garment, very Jedi-knight-like, thus aptly nicknamed, I think.

I also got some spinning done early this morning, but now it is time for bed. My first night shift is tonight--wish me luck.

Home