At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, May 26, 2003

FINALLY--I GOT IT!


I've always loathed seaming pieces together, partly because it's such a letdown after the enjoyable knitting, and partly because I've always used a clumsy overhand stitch, which resulted in lumpy seams.

Inspired in large part by Bonne Marie's enthusiasm for mattress stitching, I researched this technique, but couldn't wrap my mind around the concept. You have to understand, I'm the type of person who has to visualize a technique before attempting it, so if my mind won't wrap, my hands won't work. Weird, aren't I?

Then, while reviewing skin suturing techniques (remember, I'm on ER this month), I found a good textbook diagram for horizontal mattress sutures. A-ha!

You see, it was easier for me to wrap my mind around the concept of a mattress stitch when applied to the edges of a cut in the skin than to the edges of two knit fabrics. Weird, right?

Never mind. I got it. It works. I seamed the Obi sides together this afternoon--flat, even, and (almost) invisible. Photos to come soon, promise.

Now, of course, I feel like starting all kinds of knitted-in-pieces projects, just to have seams to finish. Still not as fun a s knitting, but potentially addictive nonetheless.

Home