At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, April 07, 2003

HURDLES


If you've been wondering why I've been so quiet lately, it's because I've been plugging away at the following semi-major projects that have nothing to do with fiber arts:

Number One: Apply for a California medical license. This entailed rounding up original transcripts to every school I ever attended, a certified copy of my medical school diploma, a notarized signature/photo card, a set of electronic fingerprints, a statement from my medical school that I did indeed attend, a statement from my residency that I am indeed in attendence there, a notarized application for reduced licesure fee, and a check for $805. Status: DONE!

Number Two: Taxes! After wimping out for many years and having a CPA do my taxes, this year I tackled Turbo Tax and did my own (very simple) return. I feel like a real grown-up at last. Status: DONE! To be mailed out tomorrow.

Number Three: Figure out the rotation schedule for the residents in my class for the upcoming year. Rotations are the residency equivalent of individual classes, and each of the seven members of my class have to complete rotations in Pediatrics, Orthopedics, Cardiology, Dermatology, Neurology, Gynecology, and Emergency Medicine next year. Addtionally, we have to do two months of Night Float and, in return for these services, we get four months of elective. Somehow, over the course of two years, I have found myself the official Scheduling Genie for my class, since I struggle with the monthly on-call schedules all the time, so the rotation schedule has somehow become mine as well. I have gathered everyone's preferences for vacations, electives, and night float blocks, and now have to put it all together into a rotatiion grid. Status: Information gathered, now I just have to sit down and DO IT!

Number Four: Open a retirement account. Certain of my List buddies have already heard me whining about how I am in my mid-thirties and have no retirement savings. Not one red cent. But I do have a paycheck and a monthly budget that is (sort of) working, so I am determined to get started. Status: Old account active at a discount brokerage, just need to fund an IRA.

Number Five: Get my car serviced. She's a 1995 Subaru Impreza 4-door sedan named Tildy, and she needs an oil change, brake check, and general tonifying. You have no idea what a pain it is to get your car serviced when you're a resident living alone, and have to be at work at 6am every day. Status: I need to get on the phone with the garage and schedule old Tildy with the Subaru doctor on the first day of my upcoming VACATION!

Number Six: Working too much. Too much call, too many weekends rounding, getting grumpier and grumpier. Status: Residency--it is what it is.

Isn't that enthralling?

Home