At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Thursday, March 20, 2003

MATCH DAY...& SOME FIBERY CONTENT, TOO


Global events are grim, but we have some small, good news here at the Natividad Family Practice residency program. Despite a difficult year for attracting med school grads into family practice, we managed to match eight new interns into our incoming class. Other programs matched fewer grads than they had positions, so we're very lucky. Looks like we've got a good group joining us at the end of June. The current crop of interns looked relieved today--the relief is on the way.

Actual Fiber Content Below

Yes, I have been knitting and spinning during odd moments.

Here's a pair of Regia Clown socks I started ages ago, and finished this week:



And here's a skein of yarn I spun from this roving I got from the Woolgatherings booth at last year's Black Sheep Gathering:



This was my first attempt at Navajo plying, and I like the results. The Navajo-ply preserves the color sequence in a roving and avoids "barber-pole" effects of one color plied with another. I don't mind barber poles in my finished yarn if the colors are complementary, but in a roving with starkly contrasting colors I prefer to avoid them. This finished skein has areas of single color intermixed with areas in which the contrasting colors are subtly blended in the three strands that are plied together. The effect is lovely in this skein. The colors reminds me of bushels of apples in the farmers' market--Granny Smiths, Galas, Golden Delicious. The skein is blocking right now and I'm wondering what to make out of it. Decisions, decisions.

Home