At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Tuesday, February 18, 2003

KNOW WHAT THESE ARE?








Yes, these are actually skeins of YARN! They've been sitting around here for months, spun, plied and washed, with no apparent purpose other than to demonstrate that I own a spinning wheel and know how to use it. Lately I've been trying to convince myself that these are not just finished skeins, but actual usable yarn, and I should find some projects to put them to work.

The stack on the left are 8-oz skeins spun from a selection of alpaca/wool blends. At the top are two alpaca/Coopworth skeins spun from Jehovah Jireh Farm's roving. At the bottom, a skein spun from Icelandic/alpaca roving from Tongue River Farm. There's enough here for a sweater, I think, but just to be on the safe side, I'm thinking of teaming these three colorways up with the yarn spun from these batts from Lucky Duck Farm.

The stack on the right are skeins spun up from Jacob rovings from various farms, in natural dark grey, medium grey, and white. I've got another 8oz of white roving to spin up, and I'm tempted to dye some of it in madder, onion skins and annatto to add some interest to the greys in a knitted garment, but now that I see the natural shades, I'm in love with them again, so who knows?

What will they become? I haven't the faintest idea. I have a vague image of the Jacob becoming a kimono-style cardigan sweater, and the alpaca/wool yarns transmogrified into an unconstructed coccoon or cape of some kind. You input is welcome, as always.


Home