At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Thursday, February 06, 2003

GOING BATTY


After dithering for months, I finally bought a Fricke's Finest drumcarder from The Woolery with some Xmas money (thanks, Mom!). The Mail Gods were kind to me, and it arrived yesterday. Since then, I've been carding up a storm. Nothing is safe--even the cats are giving me and the Machine a wide berth.

Here's a sampling of what I've carded so far:



The grey batts are from a lovely silver Romney fleece I bought at the Black Sheep Gathering last year. I washed the fleece in July but didn't get far carding the 4.5lb of clean fiber on handcards. The pink batts are a blend of cochineal-dyed Bluefaced Leicester and alpaca, streaked with yellow annatto-dyed mohair and lavendar alpaca/BFL from a logwood exhaust run. With the exception of the mohair, all of the fibers were dyed in roving form before I knew I wanted to blend them, so I had to separate the roving into staple lengths to run through the carder. First I blended the alpaca and BFL, then divided the resulting batts and layered them with the annatto- and logwood-dyed fibers. Labor-intensive, but pretty to look at--and fun to make.

Cats, beware....

Home