At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Wednesday, January 08, 2003

PROGRESS ON MANY FRONTS


Latest cat tale:

With much encouragement (read: loud meowing) from Shroom, today Zafu finally left the loft bedroom, where she had sequestered herself after the Great Watering Can Debacle. She did some carefuly sniffing around, then decided she needed a safe place to nap. Her solution? To crawl under the slipcover of an overstuffed living room chair, where she then slept, invisible, all afternoon.

I've been very lucky to be on an outpatient rotation this week, which means I go to clinics every day and have no rounding responsibilities during the week at all. This has allowed me plenty of time to watch the cats--oh, and to get a bit of knitting done as well. Here's Josephine:



The shawl measures about 14" from the cast-on edge, so I'm more than half-way to my goal of a 26" shawl. For those of you who haven't tried a Stahman shawl, you knit a neckline, pick up stitches on the long edge and knit one full pattern repeat with increases on both sides and in the center lace panel--this creates the nice shoulder shaping of these Faroese-style shawls. Thereafter, you knit as many repeats as needed to create the length you want, with only the side lace panels increasing. It's hard to visualize, but makes sense when you're actually knitting the shawl. On the Josephine motif, both side panels increase by 40 stitches over a 36-row repeat, so the base of the shawl gets very big very fast--I've already switched over to a 40" circular needle. The greatest challenges of this project so far? Teaching myself to correct mistakes in lace, and knitting on 350 stitches with a cat on my lap.

Stay tuned....

Home