At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, January 05, 2003

THE CATS HAVE ARRIVED!


A major souce of anxiety for me recently has been the prospect of moving my two oldest cats, Shroom and Zafu, to Salinas to live with me. I've spent the last few months rearranging my apartment, installing balcony fencing and purchasing cat-friendly products, all in anticipation of their arrival.

Well, they're finally HERE! I drove them down yesterday in a relatively quiet two-hour drive. We spent most of the day yesterday in the bedroom, or at least Shroom and I did. Zafu hid behind the toilet in the nearby bathroom. In the evening, both cats were starting to explore a bit, so I let them downstairs into the living room/dining room/kitchen area. Shroom has been quite calm about the change, making efficient field surveys and taking command of her new space (she's napped in four different spots so far). Poor old Zafu, who's always been a bit high-strung, has been much more tentative. She likes to stay near me as much as possible, and has needed a lot of tummy rubs.

Then--turmoil! This morning, I awoke to the sound of plastic clattering and water dripping. I'd put a baby gate up between the bedroom and the stairway (I have a loft bedroom, with a half-wall overlookiing the kitchen and living room), to keep the cats with me last night. Mistake! Zafu had found her way up the half-wall, and tried to jump down on top of the kitchen cabinets, knocking over a full watering can in the process. It took three bath towels to dry everything off, and Zafu has spent the entire day under the bed. Poor old thing was demoralized by the event.

I'll leave the stairway open tonight. Maybe we'll all get some sleep.

Home