At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Thursday, December 26, 2002

NIGHT FLOAT IS FINISHED....


...and so is this:



It's the Cabled Raglan Tunic AKA the Circadian Turmoil Sweater, because it was knitted entirely during the Night Float month. It turned out all right, although for some reason the V-neck plunges below the threshold of decency, so I'll have to convert the neckline into a shawl collar to fill in the defect. And yes--my gauge was correct. I measured many, many times. Perhaps I did something odd with the raglan decreases--who knows?

The less-than-satisfactory outcome of my last two sweaters has made me resolve NEVER to knit another sweater merely to please another person. I'm happy to knit for other people, but from now on I'll choose a project that is interesting to me and will keep my attention engaged throughout the process. During the knitting of both the Circadian Turmoil and Chocolate Squares sweaters, I was dreaming of the projects I wanted to start next--to be honest, the projects I really wanted to be knitting. Poor sweaters--they turned out like the second thoughts they really were.

I also need to renounce the madness of productivity which has been driving my knitting lately. Ever since I decided I had to knit five sweaters before purchasing any more sweater yarn, I've been knitting like a madwoman, trying to achieve the goal. (I did finish two sweaters, am halfway through a third, and have farmed one out to my mother to knit.) The result? I've completed more knitting but with less satisfaction and less joy--so what was the point in setting the five-sweater goal? (It certainly didn't prevent me from buying more yarn, but that's another story.)

My antidote to these problems is to cast on a project I was dreaming of starting all along. This is the Josephine shawl from Myrna Stahman's Shawls and Seamans Scarves:



Here's a close-up of the lace motif. Myrna Stahman says this vortex motif represents the whirlwind of women's lives. (Maybe that's why the design appeals to me.) The yarn is Henry's Attic 100% alpaca sportweight in natural chocolate brown. I knitted the Alberta shawl out of the same yarn in a different shade and really liked the result. The lace is a bit fuzzier than if I'd used a wool yarn, but the shawl is warm and sturdy and was fun to knit. I'm using a smaller needle (#6) for Josephine because the lace motif is a bit more open and the smaller needle yields a firmer, more defined lace fabric.

I also cast on a simple lace scarf using spindle-spun yarn--photos to follow.

Home