At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Wednesday, December 18, 2002

MIDNIGHT TIDBITS


(Well, 1:15am at least.)

First, let me say that one of the great pleasures of Night Float is working with a good emergency room attending. Most residents absolutely detest the ER. The system is set up to create an adversarial relationship between the ER and residents, because a) the ER is where patients go in the middle of the night when they don't feel well, b) the ER therefore becomes the source of admissions to the hospital, and c) admissions create a mountain of work for the long-suffering resident, who only wants to get some sleep and GO HOME!

So far this week, we've had Dr. P in the ER, and peace reigneth at Natividad Medical Center. There has been some talk that Dr. P should run for President, because he's smart, well-informed, easy-going and has good common sense. He doesn't ask us to admit people very often and when he does, he's already gathered most of the info we need to get the patient tucked in for the night. And he's very nice about the whole thing--usually has a few cheerful words for you and says "thank you" as you leave. Nice to be appreciated.

Thanks to Dr. P, I've knitted my way through the first sleeve of the Cabled Raglan tunic and am 6" into the second. I've also been spending some quality time surfing the Fiber Net Universe. A few tidbits:

1. Jim Child is back in the game! I ADORE his spindles! Now that he's updated the site, I've very, very gently reminded him about the THREE I ordered last spring. Maybe by the time my next birthday rolls around.

2. Thanks to Caroline, I discovered the Fiddlesticks website. I love the lace shawl designs, especially this one. I feel a little retail therapy coming on.

3. More retail therapy: Hanne Falkenberg kits at Sommerfuglen. Clara says their prices can't be beat, and I've always wanted to try one of Falkenberg's designs. Hm.

Final note: I'm glad I invested the time and effort in making the Alberta shawl, because I've been cozying up in it every night at work. It's been raining on and off for five days, so the resident's lounge is cold--but Alberta, she is warm.

Home