At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Wednesday, December 04, 2002

THE DESIGNATED NIGHT-TIME KNITTER


Reporting live from the night shift....Thanks to everyone for their advice on how to fix the sleeves of the Chocolate Squares sweater. I want to sew and cut the excess width but have no sewing machine, will have to ask around work to see if anyone has one I can borrow. Can one hand-sew a sweater before cutting? I was thinking I could use a good, strong thread and make small stitches by hand--has anyone tried this?

Despite the excellent advice to work on small, gauge-free (or limited) projects during Night Float, I've been plodding along on the Cabled Raglan Tunic. I'm using the Moss colorway, a dark green heather with undertones of yellow, blue and brown. I love this yarn from Black Water Abbey. I'm already dreaming of knitting a Starmore Aran from one of the other colorways.

Night Float as a second-year resident allows me more free time than I'd imagined. I've already knit six inches on the body of the tunic in the past four days. Part of me feels itchy to do some work, but mostly I'm happy to sit and knit away in the quiet of the call room. Meanwhile, the poor intern and senior resident are fighting their battles on Labor and Delivery, but every time I offer my help they assure me everything is under control. Makes me feel redundant, if you want to know the truth. Oh well. If it means I can finish this sweater up to the yoke before Christmas, I'll be satisfied.

A final note for you cat lovers out there: Clara has the most adorable photo of Casey on her blog. (BTW Clara, my preference is for more Casey-themed notecards....)

Home