At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Thursday, December 12, 2002

AND JUST HOW DIE-HARD ARE YOU?


Resurfacing from the world of nights just long enough to report this:

I evaluated a young woman in labor the other night, and among her family members present there was an aunt or a grandmother who was knitting a scarf on straight needles while waiting for the baby to be born. I thought, well that's nice, and went about my business. When I returned a bit later, the patient was pushing and the aunt or grandmother was seated at the foot of the bed, watching the proceedings with interest (the first glimpse of the baby's hair can be intoxicating, you know)--still knitting all the while.

I don't think she dropped a single stitch.

(BTW, the scarf was blue, and the baby was a boy.)

Home