At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Saturday, November 09, 2002

PROJECT UPDATES


Here's what I've been spinning on my Journey Wheel:



It's a tussah silk top handpainted in the Spice Market colorway from Treenway Silks. I'm spinning fine singles on the 15:1 ratio of the JW. I don't know the WPI, but I always notice irregularities in my yarn when I spin silk. Not that I mind--I like irregularities in my handspun yarn--but I won't be submitting an application for a Certificate of Excellence in Handspinning anytime soon.

No photos of the following, but--

1. I've finished the back of the Chocolate Squares sweater and I'm 75% finished with the front. I cast on the first sleeve as well, had trouble keeping track of increases in pattern, frogged the first attempt, and cast on a second time with the intention of knitting the sleeve from the top down. I find it easier to keep track of decreases in pattern than increases. Wish me luck.

2. I finished the back of the LoTech Cardigan and cast on the first front. This project is going slowly because I reserve it for knitting while I'm playing on the computer.

3. I cast on a new sweater (yes, that makes three in progress!) for DSO. This time it's the cabled raglan tunic from Black Water Abbey Yarns. I started with one sleeve so I could check my gauge in the round before starting the body.

Personally, I like to have several projects going on at once. I get easily bored with knitting one thing at a time, so I like to have a few projects to choose from to suit the mood of the moment. For example, the LoTech cardigan is knitted in pieces, primarily in stockinette stich, so it's perfect for knitting in front of the computer. The Chocolate Squares sweater is worked in a simple knit-purl texture stitch, so it holds my interest a bit longer than LoTech. I've been taking it to work while on call and on Thursdays, when we have lectures all afternoon and I can get a lot of knitting done. The Cabled Raglan Tunic is knitted in the round, which I always enjoy. There are simple cables where both side seams would ordinarily be, and along the raglan. I'm going to work on cabling without a needle during this project.

Also, it seems that every sweater goes through several developmental stages, some of which are portable and some--well, less so. For example, I can carry a sleeve-in-progress to meetings at work, but not a back or a front once they get to a certain size. Circular sweaters get too cumbersome after the sleeves are added, and are best reserved for Thursday afternoons or call. If I have several sweaters going at once, there's usually one I can carry along with me at work. This is how I get things done!

Besides, I have a stash to knit through!

Home