At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, November 18, 2002

AUTUMN IN CALIFORNIA, AND THE SPINNING IS EASY


Here's two recent skeins, spun and plied on my Louet S10 (aka Big Lulu):



The upper skein is spun from Jehovah Jireh Farm Coopworth/alpaca roving, the lower from an alpaca/Icelandic blend by Tongue River Farm. I'm thinking they will combine nicely together and with a third yarn I'm currently spinning from a second JJFarm roving in hunter green and chestnut brown. I spun these yarns very casually, leaving in lots of slubs and thick-and-thin bits, because I like uneven handspun. Go on, slap me, but I do. And no, it's not merely an excuse to avoid perfecting my spinning skills. I've always been drawn to the imperfect surfaces of garments made from handspun yarn, as beautiful and imperfect as sea-smoothed stones, damp leaves and all natural things.

In other news:

--The front and back of the Chocolate Squares sweater are finished and seamed together at the shoulder, and the sleeves are in progress.
--The left front of the LoTech cardigan is progressing slowly along, perhaps because I'm 'Net surfing less and spinning more.
--No further progress on the Cabled Raglan tunic. I'm waiting until the second Chocolate Squares sleeve is done...this is my form of discipline.
--The Spice Market silk awaits plying, after my current wool/alpaca love affair blows over.
--And yet: I have about 4# of Jacob roving to spin up. Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks goodness I'm not knitting for the winter solstice this year.

Home