At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, October 28, 2002

SOAR DAY#2


Today was the first day of Kathryn Alexander's workshop on knitting with energized singles. It's quite a challenging class. We spun a variety of singles yarn in S- and Z-twist, knitting the resulting kinky, twisted yarns into various swatches. Things got really complicated when Kathryn asked us to knit alternating stitches between Z- and S-strangds. We did this with fully relaxed singles that Kathryn provided to us as well as freshly-spun 62-count wool singles. Add to this the fact that, when knitting with S-spun singles, you have to reverse the direction of your knitted wrap in order to prevent additional twist from entering the yarn--well, you get the idea that knitting my samples took every ounce of concentration I could muster.

Perhaps it was this detailed knitting at altitude, but I felt quite seasick after today's session. That's why there are no photos today--I'm resting! Hopefully more tomorrow.

Home