At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, October 27, 2002

SOAR DAY #1


Reporting live from Tahoe City:

During my drive up here, I reflected on the maneuvering I had to go through in order to get this week off. I planned my entire second-year rotation schedule so that I could have a vacation-eligible block at the end of October. I took a ton of call last month to make up for being absent from the call pool this week. I had to negotiate at length with the residency director, because the dates of SOAR coincided with the residency's inservice exam (I have to make it up the week after I return). Etc., etc....You can just imagine how much I've been looking forward to this day!

What does it feel like? The first day of camp. I'm serious. I'm sharing a townhouse with three other women--spinners and knitters except one, who is a knitter who wants to learn to spin (note to self: dig out those extra spindles pronto). As we met, there was the which-room-is-yours, how-many-bathrooms discussion that resonated back to the first day in a new dorm. Then there was sitting down at dinner with the other spinners who had arrived by themselves, all of us a bit awkward--you know, that moment before you introduce yourself to strangers, when the little voice tells you, Go on, say hello--and not wanting to be alone.

But here's the great thing: we're all fiberists--so no one is alone. All you have to do is take out your knitting and spinning and there's an instant source of conversation. What are you spinning?...Look at all the Lendrums here!...Over there--look at all the Journey Wheels....What kind of spindle is that? Lovely sweater....Oh, I made socks from the same Regia.... Watching all these people knitting and spinning away made me feel profoundly satisfied, as though I'd finally arrived where I was supposed to be all along.

And here's something I must learn to do:



Demonstration courtesy of Anna Lucy, one of the many Sheep Thrillers I met tonight :-). Have a thumb? Then you can wind a center-pull ball anywhere!

Home