At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Tuesday, October 01, 2002

A LAPSE OF FAITH


Does anyone else have this problem?

At some point in a project, I stop believing it will work. In a knitted project, this usually occurs when I come to the end of the lower part of the body of the garment and have to start shaping. Or when all the pieces are knitted and I have to seam everything together. In a spinning project, it happens when I spin up a bobbin or spindle-full of yarn and then look at the huge amount of fiber I still have left.

Today I realized that the different hanks of yarn I'd spun for my SOAR vest had significant differences in WPI between them. I knew this would happen because I spun the yarn over time and didn't sample enough as I went along. I just didn't think the differences would show so much. But look here. Somehow I've used up the denser, thicker portiions or yarn at the hem, and now that I'm working my way up the back, I've moved onto the thinner yarn, resulting in a weaker, lacier fabric.

Sigh. I'm soldiering on nonetheless. If the finished item is a disaster, I'll rip it out and start over.

Discouraging. And here I am reading Bonne Marie's blog archives, so inspired by her design creativity....

Home