At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Friday, September 13, 2002



WHY I'M FEELING RELIEVED

1. Today another one of my patients arrived in labor at 6am and delivered a little girl at 8:06am. A nice, normal, undramatic birth.

2. My telephone line, which was corrupted by static during the week leading up to and including September 11th, has now returned to normal, so I'm finally able to sustain a good internet connection.

3. After struggling mightily with despair and burn-out during the past few weeks, I've found my way back into my work by bringing some creativity back into the process. I've started a clinic journal I keep hidden in the Family Practice clinic, where I can jot down anecdotes and wisdom from other docs and patients. I've also been asking my most beloved patients if I can take their photos. So far I've got my favorite octegenarian and my favorite 10-month old baby and her mother. I love the bulletin boards old-time doctors have in their offices, with a mosaic of patient photos thumbtacked together.

I probably won't post for a few days--I'm on call tomorrow all day and all night. If the gods are on my side, I'll get a bit of work done on the SOAR vest while I'm there.

Home