At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, September 08, 2002



Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I'm feeling quite cheerful again. A little rest does wonders!


It's always fun to see the latest blog trends evolve. I confess the Weather Pixies do nothing for me, but I have been intrigued by the 100 Things lists that people have been posting, so here's mine.


100 THINGS ABOUT ME


1. I was born in Berkeley, CA.
2. I grew up (mostly) in Tucson, AZ.
3. Growing up as an Asian-American in Tucson was an interesting outsider experience.
4. I studied French and Art History in high school
5. I went to Stanford for undergraduate studies.
6. At Stanford I wanted to major in creative writing, but studied psychology instead.
7. I planned to go to graduate school
8. It took me eight months after graduation to realize I should have been a pre-med.
9. It took 3 years of night school to finish pre-med requirements.
10. I was a full-time research assistant during this time.
11. It took me two attempts to get into medical school
12. In between those two attempts, my grandmother died, I met my beloved DSO, joined the Zen Hospice Project, and began writing again.
13. My grandmother died April 10th, 1995.
14. My half-brother was born April 5th, 1995.
15. I turned 27 on April 20th, 1995.
16. Sometimes I still can’t believe my grandmother is gone.
17. I have never really been able to think of myself as a big sister to my half-brother.
18. I went to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco.
19. I wrote 10 short stories and one novel while in medical school.
20. All are unpublished.
21. It was never my goal to be a published author, but to have a productive creative outlet.
22. Since starting residency, my creative outlets have been knitting and spinning.
23. I would like to learn to weave.
24. I am a second-year resident in family practice.
25. I work at a 165-bed hospital in Salinas, CA.
26. By my unscientific estimate, 85% of my patients speak Spanish.
27. My fluency in Spanish is less than 85%.
28. I wish I had studied Spanish instead of French while in high school.
29. I believe communication is primarily a state of mind.
30. My patients and I understand each other quite well.
31. My hospital has one of the busiest Labor and Delivery units for its size in the country.
32. To date, I have delivered 192 babies.
33. Every single birth I’ve attended is recorded in a special journal.
34. Sometimes I don’t care if I never see another baby born for the rest of my life. Yet every time another one is born into my waiting hands, I feel an undescribable awe.
35. One of the things in life I am most grateful for are babies’ feet.
36.. Oddly enough, I have no desire to be a mother myself.
37. I believe the process of conception and embryonic development are more miraculous than anything described in the great religious texts.
38. I own over 70 spindles.
39. At any given time, 15 to 20 of them are in use.
40. I also own 3 spinning wheels.
41. The first was a Louet S10.
42. The second was a Louet S40 hatbox wheel.
43. The third was a Journey Wheel.
44. I have yet to spin enough yarn for a sweater.
45. One day I’d like to spindle-spin enough yarn for a sweater, just to prove a point.
46. If forced to choose, I prefer spindle-spinning to wheel spinning.
47. I dream of owning a farm one day.
48. I want to raise alpacas and rescue cats, dogs, birds and horses.
49. I don’t know how I will run such a farm while working full time.
50. I want to practice the full spectrum of family practice.
51. I want to work with underserved patients.
52. I never thought I’d want to live outside of San Francisco, now I can’t wait to move to a small town.
53. I prefer cool weather to hot weather.
54. Yet I have never lived in a place with snowy weather.
55. I love foggy days.
56. I have the idea for another novel growing in my imaginatiion.
57. Not one word of it is written down.
58. I love spicy food.
59. I love French fries.
60. If asked to choose between dessert or another helping of a good dinner, I would choose the dinner.
61. I love Peets coffee.
62. I cannot go to work without drinking coffee.
63. I like Coke better than Pepsi.
64. I like Diet Pepsi better than Diet Coke.
65. I have been in love with three men and three women in my lifetime.
66. I have been in love with my DSO for seven years.
67. We have four cats and a dog.
68. None of the pets live with me in Salinas, but two of the cats will move in with me this January.
69. I will be glad to have their company, but I will also be sorry to put away all of my fiber baskets.
70. My cats like to “hunt” fiber.
71. Time is more precious to me than money.
72. One of the greatest pleasures in my life is reading in bed.
73. I find sleep more therapeutic than exercise.
74. I prefer to walk than run.
75. Th longest distance I have ever walked was 17 miles. I got lost on a hiking trail and barely made it out of the park by nightfall.
76. My entire body, including my eyelids, hurt the day after that hike.
77. Occasionally I practice t’ai chi but not as much as I used to, or as much as I should.
78. I find it easier to be alone than to be with people.
79. No one believes me when I tell them I’m shy.
80. I’m not afraid to speak in front of a crowd, but I don’t like to make small talk.
81. I tend to worry too much about things.
82. My mother worries even more than I do.
83. My mother is probably reading this blog right now.
84. If I don’t update this blog every other day, my mother calls me to see what’s wrong.
85. I love ballroom dancing.
86. My secret dream is to take samba lessons.
87. My second secret dream is to take singing lessons.
88. I took piano lessons for years but now I can barely read music.
89. I prefer chamber music to orchestral pieces.
90. I love short stories. My favorite authors of this genre are Raymond Carver, Alice Munro and John Cheever.
91. My all-time favorite novesl are The Grapes of Wrath, Gone With the Wind, and To Kill a Mockingbird.
92. My favorite poets are T.S. Eliot, W.H. Auden, Robert Haas, Margaret Atwood and Mary Oliver. I have a deep fondness for Shakespeare.
93. The essays of E.B. White and M.F.K. Fisher taught me to find evidence of humanity in ordinary things.
94. I believe animals are teachers of a deep universal wisdom. Even my cats.
95. I did not become a vet because I can’t stand to see animals suffer.
96. Sometimes I am devastated by the destructive consequences of human behavior.
97. Other times I am elevated by the unexpected kindness of the human heart.
98. I think I’m going to be a fabulous old woman.
99. I can’t wait until my hair turns grey.
100. I would rather be remembered for my kindness than my accomplishements.

Home