At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Saturday, September 21, 2002

DREAMING OF SOAR


It was a tough week for posting--too many obligations, and resultant exhaustion. I managed to get up to 13" on the SOAR vest and now I'm starting to worry that I'll run out of yarn. I'll have to make the vest a bit shorter than I'd intended, which is OK but not ideal. I like my sweaters/vests long because short versions emphasize my, er, sturdy hips.


I'm counting the days until SOAR. Not only will I be on vacation, but I get to do nothing but spin for four solid days! I can't think of anything better. I only wish I could have the time and the money to attend the entire week-long event. I'll be participating in a workshop with Kathryn Alexander on knitting with energized singles. I wish I had requested the spinning class with Judith MacKenzie instead, but I registered for SOAR before I knew what an amazing teacher she is. Even so, I'm looking forward to learning more about singles yarn. I love the way commercial singles yarn look, such as Manos and Noro Kureyon and Silk Garden. And I'm not a great fan of plying, so if I can find uses for singles I'll be a happy woman.


Most of all--and here I reveal my unreleting materialism to the worl--I'm looking forward to the SOAR marketplace. I picked up the latest issue of Spin Off and they have posted a listing of the vendors who will be there. I will get to try out the Fricke and Pat Green drumcarders I've been eyeing, overindulge in fiber by Traci Bunkers (here's a photo of some of her fiber) and Treenway Silks, and probably come home with some spindles from the Bosworths and Greensleeves Spindles. I'm hoping Sheila and Jonathan bring their charkhas to demonstrate. (I predict I'll be lining up my birthday and Christmas requests for several years in advance!)

Home