At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, September 01, 2002



Attention: I had to edit this post to remove some of the photos, which were prologing page-loading time unbearably. Please click on the links to see the photos.

WHERE I GO DURING AFTERNOONS OFF


I survived Friday night's call, followed by Saturday morning rounding (during which time I was told, by an attending physician, "You need to go to bed." I think he meant it kindly), followed by a period of collapse on Saturday afternoon. Today I rounded on my service but was off in the afternoon, so I headed to Monarch Knitting and Quilts in Pacific Grove.




Here's the view from the entryway. I usually start salivating at this point. The co-managers, Joan and Joan (yep, two of them, but no photo unfortunately), give you a cheery wave from behind the counter or within the classroom just to the right.



Joan Williams is the mastermind behind the displays. She's very pleased to carry the complete line of Manos de Uruguay yarn. I love the colors. Last year I finished an afghan made of 12 different Manos colors, each square in a different stitch. It was an effortless knitting experience, using this wonderful yarn.










Monarch also carries a full complement of Colinette yarns, packaged in skeins as well as throw, vest and scarf kits. I'm working on a striped throw using about five of the different yarns. The project is going slowly because I'm savoring every stitch.





Here's where I usually get myself into trouble. The store just got a whole slew of Opal socks yarns in! There's also Lorna's Laces and Regia to choose from, among others, if I don't find anything in the Opal bin to tempt me. Ha!


And, as the name suggests, Monarch also carries quilts. I like this zoo-themed one, hanging on the walls near the sale bins.....


There's so much there I didn't photograph. Knitting books, rosewood and ebony needles, knit books and mags, and knitting and spinning themed notecards. That's the good news. The bad news is the credit card bills at the end of the month.


I've cast on two new knitting projects but don't have any photos for you yet: a Jo Sharp sweater for my father and the SOAR vest. Will post them later this week, but not tomorrow--I'm on call AGAIN from 8am to 8pm. Argh!

Home