At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, August 25, 2002



WHY THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "NO-BRAIN KNITTING" FOR ME



You are free to laugh as much as you like. This is the almost-finished Fascination circular sweater. The instructions were a bit vague on the subject of how many stitches I was supposed to be working on when I got to the collar, so I blithely decreased away and switched to smaller needles for the roll-neck, completely forgeting what a BIG HEAD I have. (Seriously--it's enormous. Can't fit into the average hat. Every so often I catch my mother looking at me and shaking her head--apparently it was large even at birth.)

I'll spare you the choice language I used when I discovered my mistake. Being a stubborn, hard-to-keep-down type of person, I frogged the collar back to the neck decreases, used larger needles, and increased about eight stitches before knitting the rest of the way. The result? Still a bit snug, but at least I can see daylight. No photo yet--I'll get someone at work to snap one tomorrow or Tuesday.

Home