At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Saturday, August 03, 2002



RETAIL THERAPY

I've been hearing a lot of heavy stories from my patients the past two days, about animal abuse, domestic violence, custodial battles, and tragic deaths in the family. It's been very sobering, and made worse by the fact that my feminine energy is in the eat-twice-your-body-weight-every-day phase (you know what I mean). So today, after rounding on the Pediatric service, I hightailed it to Pacific Grove:



This is the prettiest stretch of coastline I know. There's a pedestrian footpath only a few steps away from the ocean, and as you walk along you can see harbor seals, pelicans and sea otters with the naked eye. The air smells of brine and kelp. Very restorative.

And of course I had to drop by the LYS. After some discussion withe the owners, we decided that, between yarn and French fries, yarn a) doesn't spoil and b) doesn't go to your hips. So I overindulged in sock yarn:



From left to right: Plymouth Sockotta cotton/superwash wool/nylon, two colorways of Opal Mexiko, one of the new Opal striping colorways, a black and white skein which is either Opal Dalmation or Zebra (no one knew for sure), and a skein of Opal Tiger. I've been looking around for Tiger, so I'm especially pleased.


So I've staved off despair for another day, and my indulgence won't go to my hips--it'll go to my feet!

Home