At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, August 05, 2002



LOOK WHAT ARRIVED TODAY!

(Click on the images for a slightly larger view...)




This is a laceweight Tabachek spindle, which I ordered from The Wheel Thing. The whorl is 2" in diameter and made of cocobolo, with a scooped-out underside. The shaft is made of redheart and measures about 7". The entire spindle weighs 0.8oz and is as delicate as a dragonfly.



Here's how the laceweight Tabachek compares to the large and medium whorls. The larger spindle is 3" in diameter (purpleheart whorl), with a 12" shaft, and weighs about 1.6oz. The medium-sized spindle is 2.5" in diameter (tulipwood whorl), with an 8" shaft, and weighs about 1.5oz. They are all excellent oomphy spinners, even the tiny one, thanks to the dense whorls and rim-weighted design.



This is for Tracy, who asked which is a better laceweight spindle. I recommended the Bosworth mini spindle (R) as being best suited for the job, but that was before I saw the new, smallest Tabachek. Here's a photo comparing the whorl sizes. The shafts are of similar length, too. I think either one would be a joy to use for spinning fine yarn.


Currently on the Spindlers list, we're discussing how different people approach a spindle-spun project. So far I've only had vision enough to imagine a scarf made of spindle-spun yarn (socks are next), but I'm intrigued by the idea of spindling enough for a vest, as Elaine Boaz did in the Summer 2001 Spin-Off. Right now I'm working on a wheel-spun project (about which, more later), but I'm going to move towards a larger spindle-spun project soon....

Home