At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Friday, August 16, 2002



INDIGO DYEPOT: DAY 5


(Click for a larger image.) It doesn't look much different, but at least there are bubbles at the surface and, as Stasia warned, it is beginning to take on a distinct odor. Not horrible, but reminiscent of certain foods after they've been allowed to mellow in the fridge for several weeks. Fortunately I can't smell it when the crockpot is covered, only when I take off the lid to inspect the progress. Even more incentive to leave the damn thing alone! I've been feeding the broth with sugar whenever the bubbles subside, and I'm thinking of tossing in some more yeast if I don't have color change by Monday.



ALPINE MEADOWS: FIRST SWATCH!


(Click for a larger image.) The skeins are finally dry. I whipped out a stockinette stitch swatch to check the basic gauge: 4.5 st/inch on #7 needles. This weekend I'm going to try out some other new stitches: Twist Brioche (Barbara Walker's Treasury #1, p. 126), Lichen Twist (Harmony Vol. 2, p. 39), and Whelk Pattern (Harmony Vol. 2, p. 46. I've got a yen to try twisted-stitch and slipped-stitch patterns, for some reason.



WHY I LOVE FAMILY PRACTICE

Following up on the "being there" discussion--I saw one of my favorite families in clinic today. The mother delivered her third daughter on 7/1/02. I missed the delivery by a couple of hours--a possibility I'd discussed with the patient well in advance, since I was working nights--but rounded on mother and baby every morning until they went home. Today the mom brought in all three of her girls (ages 6 weeks, 3 years and 6 years), so the two older ones could get their annual physical exams. (I also saw their father, a very nice man, last week for other, non-obstetrical problems.) We had a nice visit, touching base on every member of the family, and reminding me of the fundamental relationship I have with them in continuity. That's the nice thing about primary care: you get to see people again and again, and, over time, your relationship to them is based upon a mosaic of individual moments, rather than the single flagstone of one major event.

Home