At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, August 12, 2002



INDIGO DYEPOT AT 24 HOURS


(Click to enlarge.) Still pretty inky-blue, but notice the bubbles at the surface. Something must be happening. I did not leave the crockpot on last night, out of fear the temperature would climb over 120F, but tonight I'm experimenting with the low setting. At 80F the dyebath solution begins to fizz--signs of yeasty life. If I can keep the temperature consistently below 120F, I can leave the crockpot on all day and--hopefully--get this indigo process moving faster.


SPINDLER DINNER!

I met up with sister Spindler Gail of Sun Prairie this evening. She's in Salinas attending a business meeting, but found some time for dinner and test-spinning of my selection of Tabachek and Grafton Fibers spindles. She decided she liked the Swan best for her style of spinning, so I think we may have another Swan addict in the making!

In exchange, Gail gave me a lovely homemade spindle, fashioned along the same lines as a Lollipop but with a slighly longer shaft. I'll get a photo up tomorrow.....By that time, perhaps we'll see some color change in the dyebath.

Home