At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Sunday, August 18, 2002



ALPINE MEADOWS SWATCH #3

I think this is it!


Click on the photo for a different view.

This is the Little Cable Fabric stitch from the second Harmony Guide. The gauge is 21 st/36 rows to 4" square on #8 needles. It's a knit/purl/crossed stitch pattern that curls up moderately. It took me three times to accomplish this swatch, because I was teaching myself to cross stitches without a cable needle as I was knitting it. I like the surface texture of this stitch, which is visually interesting without looking like anything in particular--as formal cables or the many leaf motif stitches do. It's an 8-row repeat, which is about as many rows as I can commit to memory. And it's fun to knit.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a regular vest or a short-sleeved cocoon. I have a Spin Craft pattern for a knitted cocoon, and it appeals to me. I like very simply shaped garments that are oversized and drapey (I wish I were a Jedi knight--that's my style!). I think I'll jot down some measurements and see how I want to "build" this vest.

INDIGO AND OTHER DYEING NEWS

So we're on Day #7 of the indigo dyepot and it's still blue and bubbly. I'm giving it until tomorrow evening, then I'm bringing in new yeast reinforcements. I also mordanted a pound of bleached tussah silk noil I received from Woodland Woolworks in alum and tartar, to prepare it for natural dyeing. I plan to dye the noil in madder, annatto, logwood, and perhaps onion skins and blend the resulting colored noil with a dark-brown hoggett Coopworth fleece I bought from Hatchtown Farm earlier this summer. I'll post photos of the fleece and noil as I make progress....

DISAPPEARING ARCHIVES

I've been struggling with my blog archives this weekend. Despite following the troubleshooting instructions on Blogger's help page, I can't get them to appear consistently. Sometimes I get the archive page to appear, but deadend at the archive links. Other times the links work, and yet other times the archive page itself is a dead end. Any archive experts out there?

Home