At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Tuesday, July 23, 2002



The Still Point?

The title of this blog is a line from T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets, a poem about many things but primarily about the ceaseless movement of time. Throughout the long poem, voices of past and present impinge upon awareness of the present. It's full of Eliot's usual esoteric references, but I have always found the poem's impact immediate and profoundly moving. Our modern lives are busy and divided; we all labor under the competing demands of family, work, and the essential creative outlets we've found for ourselves. The trick, it seems, is to find the still point Eliot wrote about, where there is balance, clarity, and harmony between the ever-moving currents of time.


I'm not merely waxing poetic here--I think about this idea a lot! There's a lot of motion in my life, between working day after day at the hospital, and running between my "home" there and my real home 120 miles away, where my family (DSO, parents and beloved pets) live. Unifying this multitude of directions is a burning desire to get some knitting and spinning done, because--for the time being--this is my essential creative pursuit.


Some practical considerations: portability is key! I manage to get a lot done by carrying a small knitting project or a spindle with me to work. I'm known for knitting or spinning through all the daily meetings, and I've received not a few hints for handknit items from my co-workers (oh dear!). But when I really hit the road, for those infrequent weekends off, this is how I manage:





The invention of the laptop was an essential breakthrough for the family practice resident on the move, and the invention of the Journey Wheel was a major breakthough for traveling spinner. Right now I'm spinning some wonderful roving from Bountiful. It's one of their limited-edition Alpine Meadows colorways, called Mountain Sunset, and it's a luscious blend of purples, reds, and flashes of peach, yellow, black, and blue. Lois Scarborough, the brains behind Alpine Meadows, has the blends carded up by Lynn Rosa, better known as Spinderella. Lynn also does custom carding and creates her own line of colorways called Thrums. Check it out!


Brief update on my project list: yes I did turn both heels on the Regia and Opal socks yesterday! Even more, I picked up the gusset stitches, never my favorite part of sock knitting. Today I have to connect the sleeves to the body of the Fascination sweater, and now that I can stop fiddling with the photos on this blog, I think I'll get some more of the Mountain Sunset spun up!



Home