At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Monday, July 29, 2002



A PATTERN GRIPE

Check out this UFO:


These are the pieces of Livingstone Studio's raglan v-neck pullover design entitled "Sophie," which appeared in Rowan #30. The yarn is Rowanspun Aran, in a color called Caviar which looks almost exactly like dryer lint--albeit designer dryer lint.

All the pieces are knit up, but I'm absolutely stymied by the prospect of sewing them up. The design called for the front v-neck to be finished in two strips that form the neck edge. Somehow these are meant to be sewed to the back piece and to the raglan sleeves. I've tried--halfheartedly--to piece the parts together once or twice, and each time I end up putting the whole project aside.

Oh, and this is what the sweater is supposed to look like:


(Adorable, isn't it?)

Why do some patterns seem so unnecessarily complicated? I think this sweater could have easily been made like a regular raglan with stitches picked up along the neck edge at the end. Or as a raglan knit in the round, with the cable up the front converted into a circular pattern. In fact, it was frustration with this sweater that compelled me to start the Fascination circular sweater, with its minimal finishing.

I ought to tackle the sewing-up again, but every time I look at the pile of pieces, I think it's a case of all the King's horses and all the King's men, couldn't put Sophie back together again.

Any words of encouragement will be appreciated....

Home