At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Saturday, July 06, 2002



Nights



I started working nights last week as one of the three residents who covers the hospital from 8pm to 8am. We each do two monthlong blocks of Night Float every year, and during our work "day" we deliver babies, admit inpatients, and handle problems that arise in the middle of the night. It's the solution that my residency program developed to solve the problem of call, or night coverage in the hospital. I like this system better than the idea of being on call every 4th night, and being expected to do my usual work the day before and the day after being up all night (the dreaded traditional 36 hour call). Yet it's still an odd feeling to be awake at night, and sleep during the day, and it wreaks havoc with my fiber art time.




I did manage to finish a pair of socks and make some good progress on a circular sweater in Cascade Fascination. You can see photos of these projects in my gallery.




I'm also in the middle of washing the first of four fleeces I recently acquired. It's a dark grey/brown Coopworth fleece from Hatchtown Farm. Jim and Pam Child run the farm; Jim makes wonderful spindles, and Pam raises prizewinning handspinner's fleeces. My fleece is from a hoggett ewe named Harriet. It's simply gorgeous--dark grey/brown with tan-colored tips, with a staple of 5-6 inches. I'm thinking of trimming off the tips and carding the dark wool with plant-dyed silk noil, to make a tweedy yarn. But first I have to finish washing all the fleeces I have--20 pounds worth! Let this be a lesson in pitfalls of fiber greed....


Home