At the Still Point of the Turning World
Residency is over, NOW what? (While I'm waiting for the answer, I'll get some spinning done....)

Thursday, July 25, 2002



KNITTING IN PUBLIC
I'm a second-year resident at the UCSF-Salinas Family Practice Program. It's an odd adjustment to the second year. During the first, I spent almost all of my time in the hospital, caring for inpatients. Now most of my time will be spent in clinics--either my own continuity clinic or in specialty clinics affiliated with our hospital. Right now I'm on a Pediatric rotation, which--in my mind--has always been associated with dozens of admissions, neonatal resuscitations, and endless rounding in the neonatal intensive care unit. Yet today I left the wards to spend the morning working in the Adolescent Medicine Clinic, and felt a pang of guilt at the idea of abandoning the intern to the mountain of work facing her. I suppose I'll have to get accustomed to the clinic setting; after all, that's where I'll spend most of my work day when I finally finish my training.

The residency has recently started a half-day dedicated to lectures and formal instruction. This is a major improvement to the slapdash lunchtime lecture series that used to comprise the formal didactic portion of our program. We were forever getting paged out of lectures to deliver babies, admit patients, clarify orders, etc....Now the attending physicians are supposed to respond to those calls, and we get to sit in lectures and hands-on sessions every Thursday afternoon. It's a nice time for everyone to catch up with each other and do a little minor socializing in between lectures.


Even better, it's a great time to be knitting! Because I know I won't be interrupted, I can bring a large project with me and knit for several hours. Today I worked on the circular Fascination sweater, which now has the body and sleeves joined up, and the yoke in progress. I also knitted an inch and a half of sock and participated fully in the discussion. Knitting helps discipline the part of my mind that wanders, and keeps me from fidgeting.

I probably won't post for a couple of days...I'm on call (all night long!) tomorrow and will be in a state of collapse on Saturday. I'll look forward to catching up with all the blogs on Sunday. Until then, I hope everyone gets some fiber-y stuff done this weekend!

Home